Vintage spaghetti poodle dogs have so much charm and character. They come in a variety of colors and styles and can be found highly decorated with rhinestones, bows, glasses, hats, playing sports, chain leash with puppies, depicted as fireman, graduating students, band musicians, reading the daily newspaper, snooty, high fashion, smoking, brides and more!
Spaghetti Poodles were made from clay, porcelain, and ceramic; their “hair” was applied in various ways to form various textures to mimic an actual poodle’s hairdo. To accomplish the spaghetti look, decorators and designers would have different techniques like using tea strainers to push the material through it to form strands that were then affixed to the poodle giving it a pom-pom look or swirled onto to the poodle for a curly look. Spaghetti is very fragile and tends to break or chip during the years. Many poodles also have sparkly rhinestones for their eyes and embellishments on their hats and also applied to their collars. Pearls and ceramic flowers were also added to many poodles for decorations on their heads, hats and various parts of body to mimic pom-poms.
Poodles are highly sought after and collectible today. Seems everywhere one looks we are returning to the nostalgia of yesteryear in some ways. Prices for poodles 4” inches – 5” inches tall is around $25.00 – $50.00 and go up from their depending on the rarity and maker of the item along with size and condition. Expect to pay more for decorated poodles with rhinestones and embellishments as well as the larger the poodle size is the higher the price will be.
When you are out searching for your poodle collectibles be sure to give the item(s) a thorough once-over by making sure rhinestones are all intact, spaghetti is intact, paint is not too worn, chained groups are still chained together with their original chains and items that have parasols still retain their parasols.
5 Tips for Collecting Vintage Spaghetti Poodle Figurines
- Damage: Make sure the tail is intact, as this tends to crack or break off over the years
- Details: Are all the rhinestones intact, is the paint and color in good condition, are their any chips or cracks to the poodle
- Chained Groups: Make sure the chains are attached and are original and have not been replaced
- Brands to look for: Top poodle makers- Napco, Lefton, Kreiss, and Company, Thames, Wales, Classica, Lipper & Mann, and Relco
- Markings: Poodles should be marked or stamped with country of origin, date, numbers, and have their tags and labels in-tact
The perfect tees for the Poodle collector and lover by Crazy4MeStyle.com