If you have been following my blog or visit my Crazy4Me eBay and Crazy4Me Etsy stores you know how much I love vintage Anthropomorphic kitchenware and especially Holt Howard Pixieware. These lovelies from the 1950s are so fantastical and housewives during this era sure had their picking of condiment jars to decorate their kitchens with in those early days.
Condiment jars were manufactured by many companies mostly in Japan but some in the USA and the most successful companies producing these items were Holt Howard, Lefton, DeForrest, Napco, and Betson. Some of the very collectible condiment jars are for Onions, Garlic, Mustard, Ketchup, Relish, Jam and Jelly, Honey, Olives, Cocktail Olives, Cherries, these jars are so darn neat and cute with their theatrical faces and depictions of clothes pins over the nose of garlic condiment jars and the crying eyes of the condiment onion jar pixies. The most collectible and highly desired Pixieware condiment jars are made by Holt Howard.
Spoons that go with the condiment jars are often times referred to as “Spoofy Spoons” and it is important when you are searching for vintage condiment jars that you check the items over for damage and be especially careful with the spoons and check these over with a fine tooth comb for damage as the spoon’s tops are the “face” of the condiment jar and usually the lid and the neck of the spoon’s are so very fragile that the heads break off and you want to check for this and if it has been re-attached. Also, it is difficult to find complete sets with their spoons, spoofy spoons, lids, and underplates.
Values for these vintage Pixieware condiment jars are increasing and the desirabilityis also increasing so be prepared to pay top dollar for a “good condition” item and prices can be even higher for the rarer condiment jars and “mint condition” pixieware condiment jars. Current Valuations at the time writing this article:
- Lefton Hot Dog Faced Pixieware Mustard jars over $3,000
- Holt Howard Honey Condiment Pixieware Jar $1,000 and up
- Holt Howard Chili Sauce Pixieware Condiment Jar over $700.00
- Napco Mustard Condiment Jar $250.00 and up
- Holt Howard Jeeves Olives Condiment Pixieware Jar $350.00 and up
- Holt Howard Mustard Pixieware Condiment Jar $125.00 and up
- Holt Howard Ketchup Pixieware Condiment Jar $125.00 and up
- Holt Howard Liquor Decanters $600.00 and up
- Lefton Apple Head Pixieware Anthropomorphic Jam Jar $160.00